What are Gemstones? Why are they used?
By Astro Friend Chirag – Blessed Son of Astrologer Bejan Daruwalla
Gemstones are polished and processed pieces of mineral crystals and non-crystalline materials of organic origin (e.g. pearls, red corals and amber).
Relationship of energies and planets with gemstones is not a new concept, many ancient civilizations regarded gemstones as miraculous and equipped with mysterious powers and energies.
Different stones are endowed with unique and sometimes overlapping attributes. We may not believe in Western approaches but usage of gemstones in astrology is derived from Vedas and Vedic system has stated that there is correspondence between gems, zodiac signs and planets and hence it has it has associated each planet with one primary or sometimes secondary gemstone. For example, Green Emerald is related with zodiac indication of Gemini and Virgo. Ruby for Sun, Diamond for Venus, Red Coral for Mars etc.
Properties like hardness, colour, mineral family, crystal system, chemical element, and inclusion are also considered by astrologers as these features also have different impacts.
Why should we use them?
Basically, Gemstones are used to magnify, balance and redirect specific energies signified by natal planets or transits. Nevertheless, it can be used to warn about the reactions of your actions helping as discouragement from taking an action.
- The energy created by vibrations within these gemstones, are considered substitutes of five basic elements of human body (Air. Water, Fire, Earth and Weather) and imbalance which of which can cause Doshas (Vattha, Pitth¸ Kapha), leading to deterioration of physical and psychological health and hence to maintain the equilibrium wearing gemstones is important.
- Prevention and curing by gems have taken front seat in astrology as using gemstone is one of the easiest and most effortless remedy of astrology.
- Wrongly positioned celestial bodies in our birth chart has very malicious effect on our life and using gemstones can reduce the negative effect of malefic planets and negative consequences of transition of celestial bodies.
- Benefits of using gemstones are plentiful in personal life, career, marriage, business, and health.
- For instance; wearing Ruby helps to enhance will power and leadership skills. It also helps to improve cardiac health and blood pressure related issues. Wearing Diamond helps to improve financial conditions, and to stabilize peace of mind while it also helps to cure diabetes and skin disease.
- Using gemstones also helps minimising the past karmic reactions.
- The cosmic structure at the time of our birth defines us physical, karmic, emotional, spiritual and intellectual self but not every planet is all powerful at the time of our birth and hence it needs to be boosted and gemstones helps to do so.
- Gemstones are used to protect the subtle energy. For example, when a gem is worn, it generates power by vibrations which is absorbed by the individual internal aura and thus aura becomes powerful enough to resist negative outward vibrations from external sources.
- Though, gemstones are seen as a remedial measure of pure science of astrology, it should be used strictly under advice of an experienced astrologer, as it can have negative consequences if you enhance the wrong house of your zodiac.
- It should be taken care of that the certain instructions are followed while you wear it like in which finger to wear, which shade to wear, with what metal to be worn etc.